How long is the volunteer application process?
The process takes approximately 3 weeks to complete, depending on when you complete VIRTUS.
What is VIRTUS and why is it required? Who needs to take it?
VIRTUS is a 3 hour in-person training on how to be aware of and protecting young people from child abuse. Most adult volunteers need to complete this training before volunteering. This class is offered through the Catholic Diocese of Wichita. You can register here: https://www.virtusonline.org/virtus/reg_list2.cfm?theOrgID=17112&theme=0
Do I need to be Catholic to volunteer?
No, we welcome anyone to volunteer.
I have court-ordered service hours; how do I volunteer?
- We accept court-ordered service for those who received misdemeanors and felony Driving Under the Influence (DUI) or Driving While Intoxicated (DWI). We also accept volunteers who have chosen to serve community service in lieu of paying a fine. We do not accept any individual who is found guilty of any charges related to assault (including domestic violence), battery, rape, sexual assault, burglary and/or fraud.
- Volunteers must complete the background check and completed the VIRTUS training prior to volunteering.
- Court-ordered volunteers are placed at Our Daily Bread Food Pantry. The pantry is open Tuesdays through Thursdays, 8:30 am to noon.
I work during the day; are there volunteer opportunities in the evening?
- Volunteers are often needed to organize, serve meals or clean in the evenings at the shelters.
- Volunteers are also needed to provide weekend meals for the shelters through our meal train. Meals are prepared in your own home.
- Child care for shelter families is periodically needed in the evenings.
I am a student in need of service hours; does the process look different for me?
Volunteers under 18 years old will need to complete the Parental Consent Form in addition to the volunteer background check forms. Minors do not need to complete VIRTUS. Forms will be emailed to you after applying.
Why do I need to create a volunteer profile?
Creating a volunteer profile in CERVIS, allows us to contact you and track your volunteer hours. You can also view and register for new volunteer opportunities.
How do I record my volunteer hours?
Volunteer hours will automatically record as you sign-in for your volunteer shifts at your selected ministry.
If I am sick and unable to make it to a volunteer shift, what do I do?
Please call/email your volunteer supervisor first. Then log into your CERVIS account and cancel your shift.
Adult Day Services – 316-942-2008
Cana Counseling – 316-263-6941
Harbor House – 316-263-6000
Immigration Services – 316-264-0282
Our Daily Bread – 316-264-8344, ext. 1504
St. Anthony Family Shelter – 316-264-7233
Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) – 316-202-0637
If I am having problems setting up my account, who do I contact?
Please contact the Catholic Charities Volunteer Coordinator at volunteer@CatholicCharitiesWichita.org.
We would like to hear from you! Call 316-264-8344 or Email us:
St. Joseph Pastoral Center
437 North Topeka st.
Wichita. KS 67202-2431
Catholic Charities, Diocese of Wichita is a 501(c)(3). All gifts are tax-deductible.
Need donation support?
316-264-8344 ext. 1262
The Wichita Diocese covers 20,021 square miles and includes 25 counties in the southeast corner of the state. It is home to over 114,000 Catholics in 90 parishes.