Wichita, KS 67214
St. Anthony Family Shelter (SAFS) is an emergency shelter for families with minor children. We have 13 furnished resident units, each unit has a family room, bedroom and bathroom and we have on-site laundry rooms. We provide three meals a day in our cafeteria. Our average length of stay is 27 days. The family, with the help of a case manager, will establish a housing plan which may include obtaining employment, applying for housing support services, and meeting with other service providers. Residents are required to attend meetings, classes and to follow our Community Living Agreement. Community Living includes room inspections to insure the rooms are kept clean in in good repair, daily chores around the shelter and evening curfew. We are a secure facility and limit access to the shelter. We will consider eligibility on a case by case basis for individuals.
If your family is in need of shelter and you would like to be considered for admittance please call (316) 264-7233. Staff will gather information about your family and your situation and answer your questions about our program.
How We Help
Our services include case management, referrals for employment, education, health assessments and other medical needs, instruction in parenting skills, special attention to children’s needs on premises by a foster grandparent, referral for drug, alcohol and mental health counseling and the USD 259 homeless services.
Meeting Needs, Preserving Dignity
The shelter is unique in terms of efforts made to preserve the dignity of the families we serve. Individuals and couples without children under 18 are referred to other shelters in the city. As many as 13 families can be accommodated in private rooms each night.
While residing at the shelter, families’ basic needs are met, including three meals a day, personal hygiene supplies, laundry facilities and an indoor play area. While at the shelter, residents agree to complete household chores and follow established guidelines. The length of stay is determined on a case-by-case basis, ranging from a few nights to thirty days.
- Family must be homeless
- All adults must have photo identification; must have social security cards, medical records, or Personal Identification Form (PIF) for all children
How You Can Help
By the grace of dedicated individuals and groups who share in our ministry, we provide help to many families in crisis. While each person has individual reasons for wanting to volunteer, many share a universal reward — the emotional and spiritual satisfaction that comes from serving others who are in need. How can you be a part of Catholic Charities mission to help families in need?
Hire shelter residents for full-time, part-time or seasonal work.
Create a permanent legacy in honor of loved ones through memorial gifts or special tribute gifts that commemorate birthdays, anniversaries or other celebrations.
St. Anthony Family Shelter needs your support. Donations provide more than half of the needs at the shelter, ensuring utilities, maintenance, food, and much more. Join us!
Donations for St. Anthony Family Shelter are a wonderful way to help — and MUCH NEEDED! Whether you provide an individual donation or help organize a donation drive, all donations help.
Donations can be dropped off by appointment only Monday through Friday between 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM at 437 N. Topeka. to schedule an appointmet to drop off new items, please call Kayla at 316-264-8344 ext. 1262.
*Please note the facility does not have a place to wash or sanitize used items, so please only donate new items.
Can’t Donate Items? Volunteer your time! Read here to learn more about volunteering.
- Laundry Detergent
- Sunscreen and bug spray
- Bottled water
- Snacks (for kids)
- Large diapers
- Latex gloves (large)
- Procedure masks
- Cleaning supplies (Lyson spray, Clorox wipes)
- Paper goods (plates, bowls, utensils)
- Plastic Ziplock bags
- Trash bags (10 gal, 33 gal)
- Bath towels, washcloths
- Pillows and bed linens for twin and full size beds
- Shower curtains
- Personal care items (body wash, Kleenex, deodorant, lotion, hand sanitizer)
- Nail care items (clippers, files, travel size especially)
- Hair brushes, hair accessories, curling irons, hair ties
- Underwear (all sizes – girls, boys, men and women)
- Infant supplies (teething rings, baby wash, bottles, diaper rash ointment, sippy cups, pacifiers)
- Baby formula
- Sippy cups
- African American hair care products, hair accessories, curling irons, hair ties
- Gift cards to Walmart, Walgreens or Quik Trip ($5 or $10 increments)
- SHELTER STORE: Small appliances (toaster, coffee pot, crock pot…)
- SHELTER STORE: Cookware (pots, pans, bakeware, Tupperware…)
- SHELTER STORE: Dishes, silverware, glassware, utensils
- SHELTER STORE: Dishcloths
- SHELTER STORE: Comforters, curtains
- SHELTER STORE: Wall hangings, things that make a house a home
- SHELTER STORE: Cleaning supplies (brooms, dustpans, mops, vacuum cleaners, etc.)
Wichita, KS 67214
We would like to hear from you! Call 316-264-8344 or Email us:
St. Joseph Pastoral Center
437 North Topeka st.
Wichita. KS 67202-2431
Catholic Charities, Diocese of Wichita is a 501(c)(3). All gifts are tax-deductible.
Need donation support?
316-264-8344 ext. 1262
The Wichita Diocese covers 20,021 square miles and includes 25 counties in the southeast corner of the state. It is home to over 114,000 Catholics in 90 parishes.