Wichita, KS 67201
Harbor House Hotline Remains Open: 316-263-6000
Harbor House Domestic Violence Shelter Hotline will remain open and staffed 24/7 for those who feel worried by a relationship or have concerns for friends or family during these times of crisis.
If something about your relationship scares you or you are worried about your children and you need to talk, you can get help by calling the (316) 263-6000 Hotline.
Domestic Violence Hurts Everyone
Domestic violence occurs within a family or an intimate relationship as a way for one person to control another. Most victims of domestic violence are women, although men can be battered too. It includes physical abuse, not allowing someone to leave home or using objects like knives and guns to cause injury. It also includes harming someone emotionally by threats, name-calling and put-downs.
Domestic violence spares no one, especially children who hear and witness it or are targets. Living in a home where one parent uses violence against the other places children at risk for emotional and behavioral problems. They may feel confused, wet the bed, be unable to sleep, have trouble in school or blame themselves for the violence.
If you are abusing your family or loved one, you should know that domestic violence is a crime and that you could lose your children, friends, home and job if it doesn’t stop. Did you know that boys who witness the abuse of their mothers may be at greater risk for becoming men who batter in adulthood than boys from homes free of violence? There is no excuse for your behavior.
If you are abusing your loved ones, it is important to get information about how you can get help for your behavior by also calling the (316) 263-6000 Hotline.
About Harbor House
Harbor House at Catholic Charities exists to help break the cycle of violence against women and their children, as well as men by providing them a safe place to stay and support services including men’s, women’s and children’s counseling, housing referrals, parenting, domestic violence education, budgeting and other life skill classes, assistance with employment and educational opportunities and referrals to community resources. Harbor House utilizes outreach advocacy services to guide victims of abuse through the judicial, medical and DCF systems. Through shelter, support and compassion, Harbor House works with women and their children, as well as men to help them realize a life free from abuse and envision a future filled with promise and hope.
Shelter, Support, Compassion
Since 1992, Catholic Charities Harbor House has provided shelter, outreach, support and compassion to victims of family violence. The shelter is staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week with caring, trained people who meet the emotional and physical needs of the men, women and children in crisis who call the shelter for assistance.
Harbor House is an active participant in the Wichita/Sedgwick County Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Coalition and works with many community partners to focus on prevention efforts.
Preparing for an independent, violence-free life
- Safe and Confidential Shelter
- Private rooms for mothers with children, men’s available
- Supportive, Christian atmosphere
All services are free for clients
- 24-hour hotline
- Connection to vital needs (i.e. job training, medical care and day care)
- Counseling, support groups and educational courses (i.e. parenting and budgeting)
- Children’s programs
- Case management (job searches and training, housing and support in court)
- Transportation assistance
- Outreach services including court advocacy and domestic violence advocate located at DCF
- Economic Advocacy
Are You Abused?
Does your partner…
- “Track” all your time?
- Regularly accuse you of being unfaithful?
- Isolate you from working or attending school?
- Prevent you from working or attending school?
- Criticize you for little things?
- Get angry if you refuse sex?
- Get out of control when drinking or on drugs?
- Control the money and badger you to account for any that you spend?
- Embarrass you in public or private?
- Physically abuse you or your children?
- Intentionally destroy your belongings or things that you treasure?
- Threaten to use a weapon against you?
- Threaten to take the children
- Sometimes feel scared of how your partner will act?
- Constantly make excuses to other people for your partner’s behavior?
- Believe that you can help your partner change if only you changed something about yourself?
- Feel like no matter what you do, your partner is never happy with you?
- Stay with your partner because you are afraid of what your partner would do if you broke up
Break the Cycle of Abuse
Do you or someone you know need help escaping from an abusive relationship? Learn how you can help break the cycle of abuse.
All Harbor House services can be reached through TTY/Voice at 7-1-1 or 1-800-766-3777.
At this time we encourage cash donations so we can purchase the most needed items. Please click HERE for more details.
Donations to Harbor House are a wonderful way to help — and MUCH NEEDED! Whether you provide an individual donation or help organize a donation drive, all donations help.
Donations can be dropped off Monday through Friday between 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM at 5920 W. Central Ave.
Please, only donate new items.
Can’t Donate Items? Volunteer your time! Read here to learn more about volunteering.
- Diapers (size 3 and up)
- New duffle/tote bags
- New household linens
- New car seats
- Personal care items (body wash, lotion, Kleenex, soa, deodorant)
- new small DVD players and TVs
- New household appliances
We would like to hear from you! Call 316-264-8344 or Email us:
Wichita, KS 67201
St. Joesph Pastoral Center
437 North Topeka st.
Wichita. KS 67202-2431
Catholic Charities, Diocese of Wichita is a 501(c)(3). All gifts are tax-deductible.
Need donation support?
316-264-8344 ext. 1262
The Wichita Diocese covers 20,021 square miles and includes 25 counties in the southeast corner of the state. It is home to over 114,000 Catholics in 90 parishes.