We all know how a house can show the wear and tear of being a home to an active family. Beds see a lot of sleeping bodies, flooring wears out from countless steps, painted walls get blemished, thick towels become thin, systems falter and décor becomes outdated.
Now, imagine what happens when the house is a temporary home to more than 2,000 families during a dozen years.
That is why St. Anthony Family Shelter will be the focus of this year’s #GivingTuesday campaign for Catholic Charities.
This year #GivingTuesday – a global day of giving set aside after Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, and Cyber Monday to remind people to also donate to charities during the holiday season – is set for Dec. 3.
Through the #GivingTuesday Fresh Rooms 4 Fresh Starts campaign, our goal is to raise $25,000 to update and refresh the 13 rooms that provide homeless families with privacy and shelter.
Freddy’s Frozen Custard and Steakburgers is helping out by offering $5,000 in matching funds to the campaign.
The current St. Anthony building opened in early 2007, built through the generosity of Shelter the Heart campaign donors. While routine maintenance has occurred during the past 12 years, the time has come for more significant updates.
Here is what we hope to accomplish in each room as part of the Fresh Rooms 4 Fresh Starts campaign:
- New AC/heating units
- Repair and paint walls, ceiling
- New bed frames, mattresses, and bedding
- New sofas, dining tables, and chairs
- Replace or strip/wax floors
- Recondition dressers
- Install new closet organizers
- Refresh bathrooms with refurbished vanities, new faucets and mirrors, shower curtains, towel holders and towels
- New televisions and DVD players
How you can join us in #GivingTuesday?
Here’s how you can support the #GivingTuesday Fresh Rooms 4 Fresh Starts campaign between now and Dec. 3:
- Like the Catholic Charities, Inc. – Diocese of Wichita Facebook page so you can keep up to date on the campaign and other agency news.
- Host your own fundraiser on Facebook in support of Catholic Charities and #GivingTuesday. All Facebook donations are matched dollar for dollar by Facebook, up to $1,500 while funds last.
- Donate online at give.CatholicCharitiesWichita.org. Select “#GivingTuesday” in the drop down menu.
- Mail a check made payable to Catholic Charities to St. Joseph Pastoral Center, 437 N. Topeka St., Wichita, KS 67202-2413. Note “Fresh Rooms 4 Fresh Starts” in the memo line.
- Call in your donation to (316) 264-8344, ext. 1224.
We would like to hear from you! Call 316-264-8344 or Email us:
St. Joseph Pastoral Center
437 North Topeka st.
Wichita. KS 67202-2431
Catholic Charities, Diocese of Wichita is a 501(c)(3). All gifts are tax-deductible.
Need donation support?
316-264-8344 ext. 1262
The Wichita Diocese covers 20,021 square miles and includes 25 counties in the southeast corner of the state. It is home to over 114,000 Catholics in 90 parishes.